The cost of college can deter many students from pursuing higher education, but there are ways to make it more affordable. One option is to apply for scholarships, which can help cover the cost of tuition, fees, and other expenses. In this article, we’ll explore the different types of scholarships available, how to find them, and how to apply.
Types of Scholarships
There are several types of scholarships available to students, including:
- Merit-based scholarships: These are awarded based on academic achievement, such as a high GPA or standardized test scores.
- Need-based scholarships: These are awarded based on financial need, and are typically reserved for students who demonstrate a significant financial need.
- Specialty scholarships: These are awarded based on specific criteria, such as a student’s interest in a particular field of study or their involvement in a particular extracurricular activity.
- College-specific scholarships: These are awarded by individual colleges and universities to students who have been accepted to attend their institution.
How to Find Scholarships
There are several ways to find scholarships, including:
- Online search engines: There are many websites that offer comprehensive databases of scholarships. Be extremely wary when entering in personal information on any site, but especially ones you are not familiar with.
- College websites: Many colleges and universities offer scholarships to incoming freshmen. Check the financial aid pages of the colleges you’re interested in attending to see what’s available.
- Local organizations: Many local organizations, such as Rotary Clubs and Lions Clubs, offer scholarships to students in their community.
- High school guidance office: Your guidance counselor can help you find scholarships that you may be eligible for.
How to Apply for Scholarships
Once you’ve found scholarships that you’re eligible for, it’s time to apply. Here are some tips to help you increase your chances of winning:
- Follow the instructions carefully: Make sure you read and follow the application instructions carefully. Pay attention to deadlines and required materials.
- Show your passion: Many scholarships are awarded based on a student’s passion for a particular field of study or extracurricular activity. Show the scholarship committee why you’re passionate about your chosen field.
- Be original: Stand out from the crowd by being original in your application. Don’t be afraid to show your personality.
- Be persistent: Don’t give up if you don’t win a scholarship right away. Keep applying and searching for new opportunities.
Scholarships can help make college more affordable and accessible for students. By understanding the different types of scholarships available, how to find them, and how to apply, you can increase your chances of winning. Don’t be afraid to ask for help and advice from your guidance counselor or other trusted adults. Good luck!
September 21, 2023 | Planning & Preparing for College: the stress-free guide | Part Seven